Women’s Water Polo March 3, 2022
CLAREMONT. Cali. – The La Salle women’s water polo team looks to take to momentum from its 1-1 weekend against Wagner and Iona into a trip out on the west coast this Thursday, Mar. 3 through Saturday, Mar. 5.
The Explorers will play one game on Thursday, Mar. 3 against the Chapman Panthers at 7 pm La Salle will then face both the Santa Clara Broncos and the Claremont MS Athenas on Friday, Mar. 4 at 12:30 pm and 6:45 pm, respectively. The squad will wrap up the trip against the Fresno Pacific Sunbirds and the Ottawa University Arizona Spirit on Saturday, Mar. 5 at 9 am and 2 pm, respectively. All times are pacific standard time.
SCOUTING THE EXPLORERS:
- La Salle enters the contest following a 14-11 victory over Iona last weekend. The win snapped a three-game drought for the Explorers. La Salle is 4-7 so far this season.
- The Explorers are shooting 44.3% this season and are averaging 10.3 goals per game while holding its opponents to 9.5 goals per game.
- The goalkeeping unit has made 95 saves this season averaging 8.6 saves per game while the defense as a whole is averaging 7.3 steals per game.
- Kalista Hyham is an offensive threat for the Explorers with a team-high 37 points on 29 goals and eight assists.
- Sarah DeFusco is the second leading goal scorer on the squad with 15 goals and 10 assists for 25 points.
- Karle Linden has swiped the ball a team-high 14 times and leads La Salle in field blocks with five.
- Emma Gurasich has recorded over 302 minutes in net this season. She has a 46.4 save percentage making a total of 78 saves in 11 games. The junior has also added 13 assists and nine steals this season.
SCOUTING THE PANTHERS:
- The Panthers are coming into this weekend with a 4-4 record. After starting off their 4-0 season, they are looking to get back on track against La Salle this Thursday.
SCOUTING THE BRONCOS:
- The Broncos are entering the weekend with a 2-9 record. Coming off a tough loss to Fresno State, Santa Clara is looking to rebound with leading scorer, Elle Fredrickson. Fredrickson has scored 11 goals on 24 attempts, both of which lead the team.
SCOUTING THE ATHENAS:
- The Athenas stand at a 3-2 record and are riding a two-game winning streak. They recently came off a close win against Cal Lutheran, winning 8-7. Claremont MS has had a lot of goal scoreres this season including their leading scorer, Christina Kulick. Cooper Mckenna has tallied 10 points this season adding to the Athena’s’ three wins.
SCOUTING THE SUNBIRDS:
- Fresno Pacific is sitting on a 2-11 record on the season. They are fresh off their second win beating Chapman 15-6. They are hoping to build on their last win over the next few days of play.
SCOUTING THE SPIRIT:
- The Ottawa University at Arizona women’s water polo team is looking to add a win to their 5-11 record on the season. The Spirit have a handful of players who have scored double digit goals this season including leading scorer, Kylee Wesemann with 11 goals.