Women’s Water Polo March 5, 2022
CLAREMONT, Cali. – The La Salle women’s water polo team recorded victories against Chapman (19-10), Santa Clara (12-9) and Claremont (11-10) to start the first leg of games out in California.
HOW IT HAPPENED (CHAPMAN):
- The Explorers came into the first quarter hot rattling off seven goals while holding Chapman to three to take a four-point lead into the second frame.
- Chapman put up three more in the second quarter and silence the Explorers to just two to cut the deficit to three.
- La Salle held the advantage once again in the third quarter with four goals keeping Chapman to three to take the 19-10 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS (CHAPMAN):
HOW IT HAPPENED (SANTA CLARA):
- The Explorers went up by two-points early on in the game taking a 2-1 advantage out of the first frame.
- Santa Clara tried to claw its way back with three goals in the second quarter, but La Salle held the narrow edge with four goals of its own to take a three-point, 7-4, lead into the third frame.
- La Salle totaled four more in the third quarter and held Santa Clara to one for the 11-5 lead heading into the final quarter of play.
- The tables turned in the fourth with Santa Clara putting up four and holding the Explorers to one, but La Salle still held the three-point advantage to take the 12-9 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS (SANTA CLARA):
- Koerper led the offense with a team-high four goals.
- Hyham and DeFusco added two goals apiece while Lomax, Zuanich, Martinez and Appler contributed one each.
- Zuanich led the team in both steals and assists with three in each category,
- Malone had the lone field block in the game for the Explorers.
- Gurasich totaled 11 saves and one seal.
HOW IT HAPPENED (CLAREMONT):
- The teams traded goals in the first with Claremont coming up with a single-point advantage, 2-1, after the first quarter.
- The Explorers jumped out early in the second quarter to tie it 2-2. Claremont went on a 2-0 run to pull ahead by two before La Salle answered with a single goal to bring it back within one. Claremont held the 3-1 advantage through the rest of the quarter to take a 7-4 lead into the third quarter.
- Claremont got off a single goal to start the third frame before the Explorers used a 3-0 run to come back within a single point of the lead, 8-7. La Salle held the 2-1 edge through the rest of the third to tie it up, 9-9.
- The squads traded goals to tie it at 10-10 in the fourth before a final goal from the Explorers sealed the deal on the 11-10 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS (CLAREMONT):
- Hyham led the team with three goals while Lomax, Zuanich, Woren and Koerper added two each.
- Zuanich led the team in assists with four.
- Hyham’s three steals and three exclusions earned led the Explorers in each of the categories.
- Gurasich made 14 saves and added two assists and one steal.